Wednesday 30 May 2012

Sketchbook Antics


Every now and then I jot down ideas for future paintings in my small 15x15cm sketchbook. I've been wanting to work on a straight portrait for some time but haven't been able to pick a suitable subject in which I can provide a narrative in the painting of things to occur in their future.

After some very quick sketches I decided upon Boudicca (not Bodicca as I have written) as my subject, via Eowyn in The Lord Of the Rings. I'm hoping that in the future I'll be able to make a start on this historical portrait and experiment with under-paintings and concentrated watercolour inks. Also I want to super impose images of war and poison as if the viewer can read Boudicca future in the painting. Note I have also given Boudicca 'nose room' which I decided to do after reading James Gurney's post on the subject.

For those that do not know of Boudicca here's a short history from the BBC website.

No comments: