Wednesday 13 November 2013

Cheetah Chase (Past The Finish Line)

I recently finished two paintings, here's the first.
Cheetah Chase
Watercolour & Gouache
24 x 31cm

I had a right old time trying to get just the right colour in the stonework, I think I painted the column about 4 times. I have always struggled with lighter values in watercolour because there is so little room for manoeuvre when you use the white of the paper to act as your pastel white. Darker values are much easier as you can keep applying lots of layers until you get it right but lighter values are often a one hit wonder.

Overall I am pleased with the result, the cheetah has some nice reflected light on his chest (not that you can see it at this jpeg quality) and the dust cloud spurting from his hind leg was very enjoyable to paint. I'm also satisfied with the amount of characters and their facial details I managed to fit in such a small painting.

Next post... the other painting, brace yourselves!

2 comments:

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Hi Chris,
I must say, your work is perfection! I love this piece.

Chris Dunn said...

Thanks Penny :)